While Stephouse Networks has a dedicated support team to help you out if you ever run into any networking issues, some people like to roll up their sleeves and try and fix things themselves. We respect that, and try to empower our customers as much as we can with guides on some of the most common questions and concerns.

One of the most commonly asked questions is about how to reset your wireless router.

It may seem simple, but one of the easiest ways to fix a wide variety of technical issues is to simply restart the device. Whether it’s your computer, your router, or your modem, a good ol’ fashioned reboot can solve more problems than you might realize.

But, I should step back and explain a little bit more. If you’re restarting your computer, make sure that you’ve saved anything that you don’t want to lose. If you haven’t already ingrained this into your general computer usage – always save, back up, or properly close out programs before you reset!

If you’re rebooting your home router or modem, then the first thing you may need to consider is how you approach it.

Restart? Reboot? Reset?

The terminology can get kind of tricky. People tend to use the phrases “restart,” “reboot,” and “reset” interchangeably, but these phrases can mean very different things.

“Restart” and “reboot” mean the same thing: to turn a device off, then immediately back on. Most computers have a “restart” button somewhere on them, but if it’s called “reboot” instead, no worries. It’s all the same.

The real problem can come when you start using the word “reset.”

router-reset-button-red-circle

This little reset button on the back of your modem or router can make your life difficult.

In the case of your home router or modem, “reset” is usually a pinhole button on the back that completely wipes out all of the settings and sets you back to square one. Generally, this isn’t what you want to do. Resetting you modem and/or router should be a last resort.

Pressing the “reset” button can remove the password from your wifi, rename your network, or even take you offline completely.

Instead, this is how to reboot your wireless router:

1. Unplug your router or modem from its power outlet (don’t just turn it off).
  2. Wait 15-20 seconds, then plug it back in.
  3. Allow the device a minute or two to turn back on.

It may seem simple, but doing this can solve many connection problems without the inconvenience that comes with resetting your modem or router.

There are, of course, some times when you’d want to reset your router or modem and start back at square one For most people in most cases, simply power cycling the device will do the trick.

If you feel like conquering your network issues head on, feel free to check out our support page. If you can’t find what you’re looking for there, feel free to email us at support@stephouse.net or give us a call at (503) 548-2000 during normal business hours.

Share →

15 Responses to How to reset your wireless router properly

1. Tammy says:

Hello my power went out now I’m having problems getting my chromecast to connect back to my WiFi , it was working fine be4 the power went now all I’m getting connected to home network ,but can’t access the internet please help I’ve tried rebooting the chrome cast ,resetting it and also rebooting the WiFi but my WiFi is connected to my modem its one in the same from xfinity if u could give some advice I would greatly appreciate it cause chrome cast website is crap

2. Tania says:

Hello, yeah this post is in fact good and I have
    learned lot of things from it concerning blogging.
    thanks.

3. Kudzo says:

Please I want to know if I reset my router is going to affect the server?…

4. Claudine says:

Unplugging my wireless router did nothing. It is still very slow, and my IP did not change.

• Ryan Fleming says:

Hi Claudine, sorry to hear it. There may be other factors at work. Are you a Stephouse client? If so, give us a call and we’d be happy to try and figure out what’s going on.

5. Johnny Lime says:

This completely do absolutely nothing for my problem. Please I need help.

• Ryan Fleming says:

Hi Johnny. If you are still having problems, we recommend contacting your provider’s support line. If you are a Stephouse customer, drop us a line and we’ll be happy to walk you through a few things and see if we can figure out what’s going on.

6. Bre says:

My wifi pops up and say it’s connected on all my devices but there’s no internet connected to the devices. I’ve unplugged the box and everything. Nothing seems to work

7. Tony Lance says:

You can try it after reset. Just see backside of your router. There will be a small hole. There is button inside that hole.
    You can’t press that button by your finger, just take pin or pencil to press that button. Press and hold it 10-15 sec. Now your Linksys router is reset.
    Now you can access your router by using your router IP 192.168.1.1
    Router Id: blank
    Password: admin
    If still you are facing problem go to http://www.linksysroutersupport247.com/ and call their Toll Free Number.

8. Ricky Martin says:

Just reset your router by pressing reset button for 15-20 sec that is behind your router.

After resetting your router just access it by 192.168.1.1 and you will get a complete panel to access your router. You can set everything according to your need. That will help you. If you are not able to fix your router issue just visit http://www.linksysroutersupport247.com and get a certified technician to help you on a single call.

9. Matt McBride says:

Or just buy one of these like I did and never have to worry about it again. https://techrestarter.com/

10. Dan says:

Does not help that is an outdated router and I have a newer version which I can’t figure out how to reset please update.

11. yooper says:

Be very careful with any reset button, you might reset the machine back to its factory default settings, which could be a headache.
    Always power down, wait, then power back up, by unplugging it from the power source ( power wire in back of router)

12. Jamal Gross says:

Xbox One live

13. rw pruitt says:

I bought a new computer and don’t remember the key word for my wifi. My wireless router is a netgear and it is about 8 years old. How can I change or reset the system so I can access the internet?