While Stephouse Networks has a dedicated support team to help you out if you ever run into any networking issues, some people like to roll up their sleeves and try and fix things themselves. We respect that, and try to empower our customers as much as we can with guides on some of the most common questions and concerns.

One of the most commonly asked questions is about how to reset your wireless router.

It may seem simple, but one of the easiest ways to fix a wide variety of technical issues is to simply restart the device. Whether it’s your computer, your router, or your modem, a good ol’ fashioned reboot can solve more problems than you might realize.

But, I should step back and explain a little bit more. If you’re restarting your computer, make sure that you’ve saved anything that you don’t want to lose. If you haven’t already ingrained this into your general computer usage – always save, back up, or properly close out programs before you reset!

If you’re rebooting your home router or modem, then the first thing you may need to consider is how you approach it.

Restart? Reboot? Reset?

The terminology can get kind of tricky. People tend to use the phrases “restart,” “reboot,” and “reset” interchangeably, but these phrases can mean very different things.

“Restart” and “reboot” mean the same thing: to turn a device off, then immediately back on. Most computers have a “restart” button somewhere on them, but if it’s called “reboot” instead, no worries. It’s all the same.

The real problem can come when you start using the word “reset.”

router-reset-button-red-circle
This little reset button on the back of your modem or router can make your life difficult.

In the case of your home router or modem, “reset” is usually a pinhole button on the back that completely wipes out all of the settings and sets you back to square one. Generally, this isn’t what you want to do. Resetting you modem and/or router should be a last resort.

Pressing the “reset” button can remove the password from your wifi, rename your network, or even take you offline completely.

Instead, this is how to reboot your wireless router:

1. Unplug your router or modem from its power outlet (don’t just turn it off).
  2. Wait 15-20 seconds, then plug it back in.
  3. Allow the device a minute or two to turn back on.

It may seem simple, but doing this can solve many connection problems without the inconvenience that comes with resetting your modem or router.

There are, of course, some times when you’d want to reset your router or modem and start back at square one For most people in most cases, simply power cycling the device will do the trick.

If you feel like conquering your network issues head on, feel free to check out our support page. If you can’t find what you’re looking for there, feel free to email us at support@stephouse.net or give us a call at (503) 548-2000 during normal business hours.

Share →

22 Responses to How to reset your wireless router properly

1. Tammy says:

Hello my power went out now I’m having problems getting my chromecast to connect back to my WiFi , it was working fine be4 the power went now all I’m getting connected to home network ,but can’t access the internet please help I’ve tried rebooting the chrome cast ,resetting it and also rebooting the WiFi but my WiFi is connected to my modem its one in the same from xfinity if u could give some advice I would greatly appreciate it cause chrome cast website is crap

2. Tania says:

Hello, yeah this post is in fact good and I have
    learned lot of things from it concerning blogging.
    thanks.

3. Kudzo says:

Please I want to know if I reset my router is going to affect the server?…

4. Claudine says:

Unplugging my wireless router did nothing. It is still very slow, and my IP did not change.

• Ryan Fleming says:

Hi Claudine, sorry to hear it. There may be other factors at work. Are you a Stephouse client? If so, give us a call and we’d be happy to try and figure out what’s going on.

5. Johnny Lime says:

This completely do absolutely nothing for my problem. Please I need help.

• Ryan Fleming says:

Hi Johnny. If you are still having problems, we recommend contacting your provider’s support line. If you are a Stephouse customer, drop us a line and we’ll be happy to walk you through a few things and see if we can figure out what’s going on.

6. Bre says:

My wifi pops up and say it’s connected on all my devices but there’s no internet connected to the devices. I’ve unplugged the box and everything. Nothing seems to work

7. Tony Lance says:

You can try it after reset. Just see backside of your router. There will be a small hole. There is button inside that hole.
    You can’t press that button by your finger, just take pin or pencil to press that button. Press and hold it 10-15 sec. Now your Linksys router is reset.
    Now you can access your router by using your router IP 192.168.1.1
    Router Id: blank
    Password: admin
    If still you are facing problem go to http://www.linksysroutersupport247.com/ and call their Toll Free Number.

8. Ricky Martin says:

Just reset your router by pressing reset button for 15-20 sec that is behind your router.

After resetting your router just access it by 192.168.1.1 and you will get a complete panel to access your router. You can set everything according to your need. That will help you. If you are not able to fix your router issue just visit http://www.linksysroutersupport247.com and get a certified technician to help you on a single call.

9. Matt McBride says:

Or just buy one of these like I did and never have to worry about it again. https://techrestarter.com/

10. Dan says:

Does not help that is an outdated router and I have a newer version which I can’t figure out how to reset please update.

11. yooper says:

Be very careful with any reset button, you might reset the machine back to its factory default settings, which could be a headache.
    Always power down, wait, then power back up, by unplugging it from the power source ( power wire in back of router)

12. Jamal Gross says:

Xbox One live

13. rw pruitt says:

I bought a new computer and don’t remember the key word for my wifi. My wireless router is a netgear and it is about 8 years old. How can I change or reset the system so I can access the internet?

14. Ryan Fleming says:

Sorry to hear about your issues! If you are using Stephouse drop us a line and we’ll be happy to go over your settings with you. If not, you might want to look into port forwarding specifically for the Xbox.

15. Stevanus says:

Hi Admin!!
    I’ve had problem with my router (linksys). I’ve done setting my router to block a few website, after that i save my configuration, but it’s not work. Thx.

• Ryan Fleming says:

Hi – Sorry to hear about the issues you’re having! Are you a Stephouse Customer? If so drop us a line at 503-548-2000 and we’ll see what we can do to help.

16. Bhabes says:

Please help…how can i get back my wifi connection on my Asus mobile.It’s been two weeks i cant connect to it.but i can use the other wifi only here at home i can;t. I did all the reboot,reset or restart the router but still it can’t detect the name of my wifi.. What should i do.Please help me. Thanks!!

• Katy Conlon says:

At this point- I would recommend contacting the router’s manufacturer to make sure that the device is working properly and hopefully they can troubleshoot if not.

17. Brian says:

Sometimes you do not have a choice but to reset the pin especially when you start getting IP conflicts with other devices. This usually happens when two or more devices upon reboot try to connect to the same IP and ports which will usually prompt a message on your PC if you use it to monitor your devices. If you continue to keep rebooting while this is happening it will most likely continue to get worse, and this is a good reason to reset. When you do reset make sure your router is completely off the lan cable but leave the power on. I usually use a tooth pick or a needle either is fine so what you want to do is hold the reset button in for 30 secs and then release. Once that is done recycle the routers power until its completely booted up, while you’re doing that go ahead and unplug the cable modems power and leave off for about 20 secs, while you’re doing that go ahead and plug the lan cable back into the router and then power up your cable modem until it’s completely booted up. Allow your router about 2 to 5 mins to register the cable modem. Once that is done you can then go on your PC or tablet which ever you use and either it will prompt you on your web browser or you can type in your routers address which is usually on a sticker with a link to your brands website. It will prompt you to create a new login and password which you can choose which ever and once that is done it should take you to your routers registration page. Note that you do not need to re register unless you forgot the login and password from your previous which it will give you the choice to look it up by email or you can create a new one in which is will re register if your look up fails. Pretty much that is it and you should be fully operating again.